The weather’s warming up, the days are longer and for most of us, it’s that time of year when we take a more relaxed approach to everything. Even our home maintenance. Start tackling these summer tasks to protect the value of your home: decide which of these are priorities and tackle them first. You can hire professionals to handle the rest (we have lots of great contractors we can recommend) and then sit back, relax and enjoy your summer!
1. Inspect your house for foundation cracks or leaks.
They can be an entry point for groundwater, insects or radon gas.
2. Check your windows for leaks
Re-caulk seals on doors and windows as this will easily and inexpensively increase your home’s energy efficiency.
3. Clean out your gutters and downspouts
After our unusually rainy spring, it’s more important than ever to remove debris from gutters. We always experience summer thunderstorms in the DC area, so check afterward to prevent clogs and to keep water away from your home’s foundation.
4. Repair and repaint any chipped, cracking or faded exterior paint.
This will protect you home’s exterior surface from the elements an
d improve its curb appeal.
5. Check the siding on your house for loose or rotted material and repair.
Power washing siding or brick will remove dust, dirt, tree sap and other natural elements that leave your home looking less than its best.
6. Have your air conditioned checked and serviced
There is nothing worse than a stretch of 95 degree days with 95% humidity and your air conditioner stops working. Regular maintenance (including changing the filters extends the life of your unit and may reduce a costly A/C repair bill.
7. Clean your dryer vent and exhaust duct.
Clogged lint and dust in your dryer vents make these appliances less efficient and pose a potential fire threat.
8. Lastly but not least, make sure you have your snow blower serviced.
With the crazy weather we have experienced this year, you never know when we might have our first snowfall
If you have some summer home improvement projects in mind, here are some that are ideal to do at this time of year: